22 November 2010

I am Thankful ...

WOW! Can you believe how fast this year flew by?
I mean really, it's already Thanksgiving week.
I look forward to the holidays every year because we
get to see the families. 
We are lucky to have amazing people in our lives.

I am Thankful for our fabulous family.


I am thankful for our good health.
I am thankful we have jobs.
I am thankful we are loved.


I love all of the holiday decorations.
I love getting ideas for the next year.
I love the creativity people express during this time of year.

I am thankful we are able to see these things.

I also love LOVE love all of the delicious food.
There is so much to enjoy.
Diet? What's that?
This time of year I have a special diet.
It's called the eat what you want now ~ run it off later diet.
Yep, I like the way that sounds. As a matter of fact
I am going to do just that on Thursday. Well, the first
part of course!

I am thankful I can run.

I look forward to lots of dishes but there are two
that I can really mound my plate with ...
Moist turkey and garlic mashed potatoes.
(mmm ... mouth is watering)

I am thankful I can taste good food.
I am thankful I can eat good food.

Getting a moist turkey can be challenging ... so I've heard.
So here is a tip I found & wanted to share ...

Brining
Why Brine?
Brining makes it moist. Why are brined turkeys so juicy?
Salt causes the meat tissues to absorb water and flavorings.
It also breaks down the proteins, resulting in a tender-seeming turkey.
This means that--despite the moisture loss during roasting
and the long cooking time--you end up with a juicy bird.
Wahoozie! Just what I like.

How to Brine a Turkey
The real trick with brining is finding a container that's large
enough to submerge the turkey, yet small enough to fit in your refrigerator.
Try a stock pot, a bucket, or a roasting pan;
if you use a shallow roasting pan, you will need to
turn the bird periodically so that each side rests in the brine.
Place the container on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator
(so spills won't reach foods below).

The basic ratio for turkey brine is two cups of kosher salt
to two gallons of water. Some recipes include
sweeteners or acidic ingredients to balance the saltiness.

Dissolve salt (and sugar, if using) in two cups of hot water.
Stir in remaining gallon plus 3 ½ quarts of cold water.

Remove giblets and neck from turkey.

Immerse turkey in brine and refrigerate for at
least eight hours but no longer than 24 hours.

Good luck.

Have a wonderful Holiday!
gobble gobble



photo credits