29 March 2011

Crock Pot Chicken + Roasted Potatoes {I was on a roll!}

Hello Folks! I attempted my first whole chicken in the crock pot and it turned out AND it was yummy. I was so excited that I even made roasted potatoes for the first time too. I know, I can't believe it either. sheesh!

I had a few fears going into this little dinner idea ... 1) I was afraid the crock pot would catch fire and dang it, we haven't shown Jeter how to use the extinguisher yet; and 2) I was afraid if there was no fire then the darn thing would decide to quit working leaving me a raw chicken. I am slightly paranoid. Although after successfully using a completely intact crock pot with zero burn marks yesterday, my paranoia has eased a tad.

Here is how I concocted this easy breezy dinner: 

For the chicken you'll need:
1 whole chicken (insides taken out) <---that was a first for me and ewwww!
1 can of beer (I used budlight)
1/2 an onion
3/4 of a garlic thingy (about 11 cloves)
1/4 cup of Wickles (approximately)
Black pepper
Seasoning Salt
Cajun Spice
Aluminum foil

All you'll do: (we prepped the night before)
Make about 5 balls with the foil and put them in the bottom of the crock pot.  This is to keep the chicken from sitting in it's juices.

Stuff the chicken with the onion, garlic and wickles.

Rub the black pepper, seasoning salt and cajun spice on the outside and under the skin of the chicken. Place in crock pot.

Dump the beer, or your desired liquid, in the crock pot and cook on low for 10 hours.

Then prepare yourself for delicious-ness!

For the potatoes all you'll need is:
Enough new, or red, potatoes for your serving size
A bit of Olive oil
Black pepper
Garlic Salt

All you'll do:
Cut the potatoes in halves, or quarters depending on size, then place in a bowl.

Sprinkle olive oil and your desired amounts of black pepper and garlic salt over the potatoes then mix them all together.

Place on a cooking stone or baking sheet.

Adjust your oven rack to the lowest level then bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.

Ready to bake

We all enjoyed this easy dinner which made me happy. My family liked it and didn't get sick. HA!  Hmmm ... now what's next?

I'll leave you with this cartoon-ized pic of the puppy sleeping ... just because.


Until tomorrow ...